771 classes this week...

tim finin (finin@cs.umbc.edu)
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:56:44 -0400

We will have a make up class this week Monday 7:00-8:15. On Tuesday,
Professor Sergei Nirenburg
(http://www.umbc.edu/engineering/csee/faculty/nirenburg.html) will
talk about the use of ontologies in his work on natural language
understanding. On Thursday, PhD student Harry Chen
(http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~hchen4/) will talk about the ontologies and
associate tools he is uing for his work on context aware pervasive
computing.

In preparation for this week, Please read the following papers:

   Chandrasekaran, B. and Jorn R. Josephson, V. Richard Benjamins. 1999.
   What Are Ontologies, and Why Do We Need Them? IEEE Intelligent
   Systems. 14 (1): pp. 20-26.
   http://www.cs.umbc.edu/771/papers/chandrasekaranetal99.pdf

   Natalya Fridman Noy and Deborah L. McGuinness. ``Ontology Development
   101: A Guide to Creating Your First Ontology''. Stanford Knowledge
   Systems Laboratory Technical Report KSL-01-05 and Stanford Medical
   Informatics Technical Report SMI-2001-0880, March 2001.
   http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/dlm/papers/ontology-tutorial-noy-mcguinness.pdf

   The Semantic Web, Scientific American, May 2001, Tim Berners-Lee,
   James Hendler and Ora Lassila.
   http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?articleID=00048144-10D2-1C70-84A9809EC588EF21&catID=2

   RDF Primer, W3C Working Draft 23 January 2003,
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-primer-20030123/