[agents] PhD Positions at the CUBES Lab, University of Memphis

Brandon Booth brandon.m.booth at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 23 04:38:52 EDT 2023

The CUBES (Computational Understanding of Behaviors, Experiences, and
Subjective states) Lab at the University of Memphis is seeking outstanding
candidates for fully funded positions within the PhD program in Computer
Science. We are looking for students interested in research at the
intersection of machine learning, psychology, and signal processing and
specializing in affective computing, human-computer interaction, and
ethical human-centered machine learning.

Ideal candidates should have experience in:

-      Data analytics, machine learning, and/or trustworthy and fair AI

-      Human-centered applications either in research or industry

-      Research communication (e.g., publications, presentations, master’s
thesis)

Interested candidates should apply to the PhD program at UofM
<https://www.memphis.edu/graduateadmissions/future/apply_grad.php> and list
Dr. Brandon Booth as a potential PhD advisor. Priority screening of
applications for the Spring 2024 term will begin on November 1st, 2023, and
applications will be accepted through December 1st, 2023. We particularly
welcome candidates from groups that are historically underrepresented in
computer science.

*Join the CUBES Lab at UofM!*

The goal of CUBES Lab is to use multimodal AI to understand, track, and
promote beneficial mental states/experiences/behaviors in real-life
settings without perpetuating group biases. We conduct basic research to
realize informative and interpretable representations of experiences, and
we aim to close the loop in interactive experience monitoring, scale up
experience modeling systems, and find unique ways for human-AI teams to
succeed where either alone may fail.  Our work is inclusive of new ideas
and directions, especially in interdisciplinary and translational research
in education, health, procedural fairness, and other prosocial domains.

*Join our PhD Program in Computer Science at UofM!*

The University of Memphis is a top-tier research university with a Carnegie
R1 designation, and we are committed to engaging PhD students in
cutting-edge research in their area of interest.  Our PhD program builds
both breadth (through core graduate courses) and depth (via a rich
selection of advanced courses and requiring participation in research
projects), and it provides opportunities to work with interdisciplinary
teams on federally funded research collaborations. For example, CS faculty
lead the NIH-funded mDOT Biomedical Technology Resource Center and the
Center for Information Assurance (CfIA). In addition, CS faculty work
closely with multidisciplinary centers at the university such as the
Institute for Intelligent Systems (IIS).

*Memphis Highlights*
Known as America’s Number 1 logistics hub, Memphis has been ranked as one
of the “World’s Greatest Places” by TIME, as America’s 4th best city for
jobs by Glassdoor, and 4th in “Best Cost of Living”. Memphis metropolitan
area has a population of 1.3 million. It boasts a vibrant culture and has a
pleasant climate with an average temperature of 63 degrees.

Brandon Booth, PhD (He/Him/His)
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
The University of Memphis