[agents] Symposium November 21st: ‘Being human in the digital society: on technology, norms and us’

Riemsdijk, Birna van (UT-EEMCS) m.b.vanriemsdijk at utwente.nl
Fri Nov 11 07:48:59 EST 2022

INVITATION SYMPOSIUM

=== Being human in the digital society: on technology, norms and us ===

Date: November 21st 2022
Location: online and at TU Delft, The Netherlands

Registration: https://ii.tudelft.nl/coresaepregistration/
Website: https://ii.tudelft.nl/coresaep/index.php/symposium/

Featuring a panel on ‘AI value alignment: reasoning or learning?’ and an invited talk on normativity in the context of neurodiversity & technology.

OCCASION & TOPIC

The symposium ‘Being human in the digital society: on technology, norms and us’ is organized in conjunction with the PhD defence of Ilir Kola, to celebrate the conclusion of the CoreSAEP project (Computational Reasoning for Socially Adaptive Electronic Partners). CoreSAEP is an NWO Vidi personal grant that was awarded to Birna van Riemsdijk in 2014 to investigate software that takes into account personal norms and values.

The project was awarded in a time where the idea of aligning the behavior of digital technologies with personal norms and values raised some eyebrows. Since then, advances in sensor technology and AI have enabled creation of digital technologies that are more and more interwoven with almost every aspect of our daily lives, collecting data about us and influencing our behavior. This raises questions about how we want to shape this hybrid digital society: how to maintain agency in how we shape our lives with digital technologies, how to account for diversity of people and social contexts, and how to ensure our digital technologies leave space for what they cannot understand?

In this symposium we will take you along on the journey we have taken over the past years in addressing these questions. Our approach is inspired by research on normative multiagent systems. It bridges knowledge representation & reasoning with human-computer interaction, and employs machine learning for those aspects which are hard to model explicitly. We will share our insights on the importance of creating computational models that are meaningful for people, using human-grounded methods for developing these models, and interactive human-machine meaning making for value alignment. The symposium will feature talks by (former) project members and related researchers, as well as a panel discussion on the topic ‘AI Value alignment: reasoning or learning?’. It is followed by the public PhD defence of Ilir Kola.

PRACTICAL INFORMATION