[agents] PhD position at Inria Lille - Nord Europe

Simon Bliudze simon.bliudze at inria.fr
Thu Mar 31 09:02:48 EDT 2022

Dear all,

*We are urgently looking for a PhD candidate* for the following proposal
that we are in the process of submitting for joint funding by Inria and
the French Agency for Defence Innovation (AID). Due to the AID
constraints, only candidates *holding EU, United Kingdom or Swiss
citizenship* can apply.

Please do forward this information to potential candidates.

*Title:* Self-adaptive modular robots: formal modelling for validation
and coordination

*Abstract:* Modular robots are systems composed of modules that perform
computations and communicate with their neighbours and, using sensors
and actuators, with their environment. We consider modular robots that
are either shaped and manipulated by the user (like the Blinky Blocks
<https://projects.femto-st.fr/programmable-matter/blinky-blocks>) or
capable of sliding along the faces of their neighbours (as simulated in
VisibleSim <https://projects.femto-st.fr/projet-visiblesim/en>).

The main objective of this project is to contribute to the
implementation of modular robots by developing a formal framework to
model, validate and coordinate their dynamic behaviours. The scientific
challenges consist in particular in the ability to model the dynamic
evolution of this type of complex systems—their adaptation and
reconfiguration—by taking into account constraints on resources as well
as events occurring in their execution environment.

*Host institution:* Inria Lille – Nord Europe, team Spirals
<https://team.inria.fr/spirals/>

*Supervision:* The project will be co-supervised by Simon Bliudze
<http://www.bliudze.me/simon/> (Spirals) and Olga Kouchnarenko
<https://members.femto-st.fr/Olga-Kouchnarenko/> (FEMTO-ST Institute
<https://www.femto-st.fr/>, Besançon) in collaboration with Sophie Cerf
<https://sites.google.com/view/sophiecerf/> (Spirals)

*Additional information:*

Any questions can be addressed to us by e-mail (see below). Detailed
description of the project is available at

https://www.bliudze.me/simon/2022/03/modular-robots-phd/

Best regards,

Simon Bliudze <simon.bliudze at inria.fr>
Sophie Cerf <sophie.cerf at inria.fr>